The mission of the department is to prepare students for pursuing careers in chemistry or other related fields, either directly or after further education. This is achieved through ensuring an understanding of, and an ability to use and apply the fundamental principles and methods of chemistry, within an overall liberal arts education. The program aspires to maintain excellence in teaching, research and community service, within a context of professional behavior and ethical conduct.
Our vision is to be a world-class department recognized for its scholars and excellence in teaching, research, creativity, and service. We seek to treat all individuals with dignity and fairness and to promote understanding and respect for diversity of perspectives, traditions and experiences.
At the department, we aim at instigating in our students the interest, skills, knowledge and principles that would allow them to become active and effective contributors to the application of chemistry for the development and improvement of society, nationally, regionally and internationally.
Our undergraduate program, with its two specializations, offers a solid knowledge base in the fundamentals of the main branches of chemistry, as well as strong insight into two important application areas, clinical chemistry and industrial chemistry.
Our recently established graduate program with a concentration in food chemistry is unique to Egypt and the region. It provides its graduates with the necessary knowledge and tools to play key roles in the food industry and associated organizations. We continually strive to provide our students, undergraduates and graduates alike, a stimulating environment conducive to scholarly excellence.
The objectives of the Bachelor of Science in chemistry is to:
- Train students in both theory and practice of the major branches of chemistry
- Prepare students for careers in industries including petrochemicals, fertilizers, food, pharmaceuticals, food and paints
- Prepare students for careers in analytics including: environmental monitoring and protection, quality control and assurance; and clinical analysis
- Prepare students for careers in academia including education and research
- Prepare students for careers in marketing and technical sales for chemical support for commodity specialty chemicals
- Prepare students for medical school
- Demonstrate an understanding of and an ability to use and apply chemical theories and principles
- Demonstrate an ability to identify and represent chemical structures, understanding and predicting their properties, as well as the roles of different chemical forces in determining the chemical and physical properties of substances
- Demonstrate an understanding of and proficiency in various chemical laboratory techniques for qualitative and quantitative experimental determinations, following laboratory safety practices
- Collect, report, analyze and interpret data honestly and ethically
- Understand, process and use scientific literature
- Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct, critical, interpersonal and communication skills, as well as a commitment to life-long learning
To read more about the annual student enrollment and graduation data, check the AUC Profile and Factbook.