Actuarial Science - BSc
AUC’s actuarial science program, which cuts between the School of Sciences and Engineering and the School of Business, prepares students for careers as actuaries who provide risk management expertise to insurance companies, consultancies, government, regulatory bodies, and a range of investment and banking institutions. The program helps graduates obtain the actuarial license from the Egyptian Financial Supervisory Authority by preparing students up for success in the professional examinations of the Society of Actuaries and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries ASA/FSA or CERA designations of the Society of Actuaries (USA) or the AIA/FIA designation of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (UK).
The actuarial science program is accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Annual student enrollment and graduation data is available in AUC fact books.
Click here to know more about ASA Curriculum Changes.
- Establish a career as an actuary who provides risk management expertise to insurance companies, consultancies, government, regulatory bodies and a range of investment and banking institutions
- Earn an ASA/FSA or CERA designations of the Society of Actuaries (USA), the AIA/FIA designation of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (UK), or earn a graduate degree in actuarial science or a related field
- Adhere to high standards of conduct, practice, and qualifications of the actuarial profession
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve problems typical of a career in actuarial science using standard techniques of mathematics, probability and statistics
- An ability to use appropriate financial and actuarial modeling techniques to assess uncertainty and risk
- An ability to analyze and interpret data, use statistical inference to draw conclusions about populations, and make informed data analysis decisions
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to understand ethical and professional responsibilities and the role of actuaries in protecting individuals, companies and other organizations from unforeseen or burdensome financial effects of random or contingent events
- An ability to function effectively on teams that establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty
Students of the Program
The program is created for students who are:
- Passionate about mathematics
- Have an interest in the practical applications of mathematics and statistics in finance and business
- Are intrigued by the prospect of assessing and managing risk
Alumni of the Program
The program’s many alumni include CFO of SWVL, Youssef Salem ’12. He is one of the youngest CFOs of a Nasdaq-listed company, a CFA charter holder and a fellow of the Society of Actuaries. Salem previously served as the executive director at Moelis & Company and an associate at QInvest. He is currently an adjunct professor of practice at AUC, where he earned his actuarial science undergraduate graduate.
Our alumni have worked for the top employers in the actuarial science field, including:
- The Central Bank of Egypt
Associate provost for assessment and accreditation and professor, Zeinab Amin (SAB '12), gives a short brief about AUC’s actuarial science undergraduate program