Amr Goneid is a tenured professor of computer science in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the American University in Cairo. Goneid joined AUC in 1990 and served as the chair of the Computer Science Department from 1994 to 2002. He also served as the director of graduate programs in the department from 2007 to 2011, the vice-chair of the university senate (2010 – 2011) and the chair of the senate curriculum committee from 2010 to 2014. He has over forty five years of academic experience and has published more than one hundred and twenty five scientific papers in international and local professional journals and conferences. His current research interests are in algorithms, image processing, pattern analysis and cryptography.
Prior to joining AUC, Goneid served as the professor of computational physics at Ain Shams University as well as the director of its scientific computing center. From 2002 to 2008, he served as the secretary of the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities (SCU) committee for computer and information sciences. for over thirteen years (1992 – 2005), he has also co-chaired the annual international conference on AI applications and served as co-editor of its proceedings.
Goneid holds a BSc degree in physics from Ain Shams University and earned his MSc and PhD in computational physics from that university. He is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) computer society and is a founding member of the Egyptian Computer Society (ECS). He was awarded the Egyptian State Prize (Ameen Lotfy Prize) for physics in 1971 and received the Egyptian first degree order of sciences and arts in 1973. He was also honored several times by the Egyptian Computer Society for distinguished contributions to the development of computer science studies.
Research and Publications
Goneid has co-authored four text books in Computer Science (in Arabic) and published more than 125 scientific papers in international and local professional journals and international and local conference proceedings. He has also supervised/co-supervised 58 MSc and PhD theses which have already been awarded the degrees at AUC and in National Universities.
- Marwa Mahmoud, Rana El-Kaliouby and Amr Goneid, (2009) “Towards Communicative face occlusions: Machine Detection of Hand-Over-Face Gestures”, Book Chapter in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Vol. 5627, 481-490.
- Sarah Adel Bargal, Rana El Kaliouby, Amr Goneid, Anas Nayfeh, (2012), “Classification of Mouth Action Units using Local Binary Patterns”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition, IPCV'12, July 16-19, 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Vol.II, 956-961, Pub:WORLDCOMP’12, ISBN #:1-60132-224-0,
- Ahmed Mahmoud Abbas, Amr Goneid, Sherif El-Kassas, (2014), "Privacy Amplification in Quantum Cryptography BB84 using Combined Univarsal2-Truly Random Hashing ", International Journal of Information & Network Security (IJINS), Vol.3, No.2, April 2014, pp. 98-115 (ISSN: 2089-3299)
- Amr Goneid (2017), “Moment Preserving Approximation of Independent Components for the Reconstruction of Multivariate Time Series”, International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication (IJRITCC), ISSN: 2321-8169, Volume 5 Issue 10, PP: 41 - 48, October 2017
Amr Goneid (2019) “An Algorithm for Computing Average Mutual Information Using Probability Distribution Smoothing”, International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, Vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 16 -23, , Oct. 2019
- Image processing and Pattern Analysis
- Algorithms for Multi-Dimensional Signal Analysis
- Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Cryptography